Home Educators Association of Virginia (HEAV) is a member-supported, statewide, 501(c)3 non-profit homeschool association. Since 1983, HEAV has successfully worked to promote and protect home education in Virginia by working with the Department of Education and legislators, having a presence during the General Assembly sessions, and providing up-to-date information to homeschooling families, the media, and officials. HEAV, coming from a Biblical worldview, serves all homeschoolers—regardless of religious or philosophical beliefs. Membership is, and always has been, open to all. With a full-time office staff and hundreds of dedicated volunteers, they offer support and serve homeschooling needs year-round.
The purposes of HEAV, operating within the context of a biblical worldview, include the following:
- Help and encourage parents to fulfill their God-given rights and responsibilities to educate their own children;
- Provide information and advice to homeschooling parents regarding home education and family life;
- Support and protect the rights of parents to teach their children at home through legislative initiatives and contact with representatives in the Virginia General Assembly and United States Congress;
- Educate the general public, educators, and elected officials through personal contacts, the media, lectures, seminars, workshops, conventions, and newsletters concerning the benefits of home education and the Constitutional right of parents to educate their own children; Provide information to home-educating parents, the general public, the media, and elected officials regarding the Virginia Code, pending legislation, and court cases as they relate to homeschooling;
- Direct interested parents to local homeschool support groups for support and encouragement;
- Assist homeschool support groups by providing information, resources, leadership workshops, and training seminars.
Learn more at HEAV.org.